Re: RFC: new task-science package

Ralf, (and Yosip from private mail)

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 10:12:21AM +0100, Ralf Treinen wrote:
> I'd rather like to see it called "task-numerical" or "task-numcalc"
> or something like this. As the description says the package is about

Fully agreed -- that was my exact sentiment when Andreas first come out with
his initial task-science (without any discussion about it IIRC) which I
found somewhat ill-conceived.

One operational issue now is how we are going to get rid off the lingering
task-science package if we decide to go with task-numerical-analysis
(octave, yorick, ...) and task-data-analysis (r-base, pspp, xlispstat,
gretl, ...).  Plus maybe task-numerical-programming (fftw2, libgsl, lapack |
blas | atlas2, ....) ?

> scientific computing, data analysis, etc. "Science" would be much
> more comprehensive and should include tools like theorem provers
> (packages mona, coq) and there are certainly simulation tools for
> physics, neural nets, biology, chemics, etc. (though I'm not aware

Stephane is a computational biologists and had in the past suggested
something for biology. John Lapeyre had packages a lot of physics stuff
which is still around, even though he had to move on.

Let's see where this discussion takes us -- replacing task-science with
task-numerical-analysis and task-data-analysis is surely a possibility.
Maybe even task-plotting though I am not sure if grouping gnuplot, plotmtv,
grave, plplot, plotutils really gains anything coherent.

Dirk