Re: NetBSD pkgsrc function

It sounds like the "ports" and "pkgsrc" functionality you describe is
yet another way to navigate and identify software based on it's
purpose or functionality.  If I understand you correctly, the
navigation is implemented via the file system heirarchy itself,
correct?  This has some intruiging ramifications, but I doubt that it
brings any substantial advantages over our current packaging system.
Every packaging system must track package interdependencies and
conflicts.  Regardless of the navigation, you still must have tools
available to resolve these conflicts and dependencies.

I guess I would want to waste the inodes on a file system heirarchy
when I can instead use a set of standard UNIX tools to grep a
compressed text file for information.

--
Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>
             http://www.wookimus.net/