NetBSD pkgsrc function

For those of you who have never used a BSD distribution with a variant
of this, I'll run it down real quick.

In OpenBSD and FreeBSD this resides in /usr/ports... and has been
slightly altered from NetBSD's /usr/pkgsrc dir.

Very simply it allows you to cd into /usr/pkgsrc.. then into a
corresponding directory of one of the programs. ie cd
/usr/pkgsrc/editors/emacs20 :) then thereafter something like make.
It then checks the makefile for the location of the source tarball and
any depends it might require.

OpenBSD fakes an installation then makes a package from that... I'm
unsure if FreeBSD does that... or NetBSD for that matter.

I suppose my query is... wouldn't this be extremely nice ported to
debian?

It does fit around the whole debian theme. Then continuing from
this.. is anyone willing to spend the time needed to refine this
function?

Regards,
	Ty Norton