Re: NetBSD pkgsrc function

> > apt-get source foo
> > cd foo-1.0-2/
> > sudo debian/rules binary

BTW simply 'apt-get -b source foo' works.

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 10:39:01AM -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> apt-get --source is a kludge and was not designed in to the system from
> the start.

Er, no. We've always had source packages in the system. "apt-get" doesn't
imply binary packages, there's no reason for that tool not to support source
packages, on the contrary.

> If you need some header files to build your package, apt-get --source
> won't tell you, and it certainly won't download the appropriate package
> for you.
>
> I believe that adding source dependencies to apt-get --source would take
> care of this problem.  I don't know how feasable this is.

We have `Build-Depends' in Policy since 3.x, it is being implemented.
This information is stored in the .dsc file, which is included in the
Sources file that `apt-get update' acquires as long as you have deb-src
lines in sources.list. So `apt-get source' could support fetching
dependencies, someone just needs to code it. :)