Re: Our Most Precious Resource: Programmer Time (was Re: long term goals)

Hello friends =)

calm down man =) I said it before that I agree about using shell or
perl in maintainer scripts =)

I know dpkg is written in C and I've already seen `top' showing it
using 97% of CPU time... As you said (and as I said before) we got
to have quality as our main objective.

I'm just going against the idea "do not write in C! it takes a long
time!"... Just because of the last phrase in the above paragraph...
I've got to have quality, and if a program needs to be written in C
(or it would be better if it was to..) one should not avoid this
to make it easier...

Another thing, I've seen many discussions on the lists I'm subscribed
on... I do not take anything personally =) I think that these discussions
make us grow as people and as developers =) And there's not absolute
truth !!

see below...

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 10:27:05PM -0500, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>   (warning: generic rant below.  don't take it personally :P )
> for i in file?.txt-*; do
>   sed -f magic.sed < inputfile.conf > outputfile.conf &&
>   mv outputfile.conf inputfile.conf
> done
it would be surely disgusting =) It is to be written in sh, certainly...

>   Please don't bring up the "shell script is lame doodz, you should rewrite
> it in C! C IS FOR REAL MEN!" line again, we've all heard it way too many
I do not think this way =) each language with its purpose, pros and cons...

> times.  If you really believe what you say, I challenge you to rewrite
> each and every maintainer script in hand-optimized assembly.  After all,
> "everyone knows" that asm is better than C! }=)
As I said, I do not think this way =) maintainer scripts must be shell
scripts, it does the work nicely for them...

> /----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
> |                If we do not change our direction                            |
> |                we are likely to end up where we are headed.                 |
> \-------- Real Programmers don't have braces. -- http://www.python.org -------/
Nice phrase =)

--
Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov