Re: Woody Progress

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000, Rando Christensen wrote:

> > > ?
> > >

> > There was no Debian 1.0--just before Debian went 1.0, a vendor jumped the
> > gun and had CDs pressed before the release date.  That's why we have
> > codenamed releases like bo, hamm, slink, potato, etc.  There will
> > hopefully never be another definite freeze date, only release goals.
>
> I'm seeing a difference in points here. I see no problem with a definite
> FREEZE date, as opposed to a definite release date. the freeze is a mere
> preparation for the release. The release date should not be determined,
> but freeze dates should. That can only help developers.

I take no sides here, just relay information from the website to the
mailinglists.  You're probably right, I just think that the Project as a
whole is too gun shy on this point, and can see no good consequences of
dropping the stance.  However, a periodic public evaluation of release
goals and their status might be a good thing.

--
There is an old saying that if a million monkeys typed on a million
keyboards for a million years, eventually all the works of Shakespeare