Re: Woody Progress

Rando Christensen wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Dec 2000, Richard Taylor wrote:
> Nah, potato just stabilized. just BARELY. We don't need to rush out with
> this. I wouldn't even expect seeing the release until at least the end of
> 2001. and that doesn't even seem likely to me.
>
> The thing is, debian is NOT going to throw together a distribution release
> and just call it stable. RedHat would. They consider rh7.0 to be a nice,
> stable release. Any debian user/developer would SCOFF at that.

  actually, it's just a name (stable/unstable). if you're in the
position of waiting for next stable release and can't wait, thinking, if
ionly they would release current unstable as stable, then simply use
unstable, it's exactly the same thing as if it would be realease as
stable (de jure status would change but de facto status would be exactly
the same).

  if your server is not a production server (mission critical, whatever
that means to you), I think you can run unstable with no big worries. I
am running unstable and there were VERY few problems, I'd say less then
with stable releases of some other distros.

  the debian takes the stable/unstable a little bit more seriously than
most other distros, but the actual state of debian is not behind, only
the labeling is behind.

	erik