Re: unmet dependencies after installing glibc2.2.

Petr Cech <cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> wrote:
>On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:44:09AM +0000 , Michael Meding wrote:
>> since glibc2.2. and 2.13 should be binary compatible IIRC,
>> I thought testing out the new glibc2.2. on would be a good
>> idea ;-)
>>
>> So I got the source packages from woody and have build on my potato
>> the glibc i686 optimized. I am heavily impressed that
>> after dpkg -i of the files my system is still running :-)
>>
>> But I have a dependency problem as shown as attached I would like to get
>> rid of.
>>
>> Any ideas ?
>
>what about doing what it says?
>apt-get -f install
>it should upgrade libstdc++2.10-dev and install libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 and
>everything will be OK.

Not without a woody line in sources.list, it won't - he downloaded the
packages individually and dpkg -i'd them. Of course, since you (Michael)
did that, you might as well just grab libstdc++2.10-dev from woody and
install that to fix your dependency problem.

Debian doesn't strictly support mixing versions of the distribution as
far as I know, though the dependencies are usually such that it isn't a
problem. Sometimes it's possible to temporarily change your sources.list
to point at woody, update, 'apt-get install packagename', point your
sources.list back at potato, and update again. Whether this is a good
idea for libc6 I think I'll leave to experimentation.