RE: shared NFS systems

Hi,

on SUN solaris all packages are divided in two parts. The "root" part
of a package contains all file to be installed on the local filesystem
(/ /etc /var..), the other part contains all file for /usr and
/opt. If you want to install a machine as a dataless client (/opt /usr
mounted via nfs read only) this part will not be installed on the
local disks. But it's important that the postinst script also test if
/usr is mounted read only.

One solution would be to modify dpkg, not to extract file to /usr, if
a special flag says, that this machine should be a dataless client.
A lot of work is to be spent, to change the postinst scripts.

I think using XML format for files is not good. I prefer plain
ASCII. But it's a very good idea to say WHAT the script should do, not
HOW they should do it. Therefore for every job, that has to be done,
we must write a programm, that implements this function, e.g making
the /usr/doc/progname link to /usr/share/doc/progname could be done
using a script mkdoclink. Changes to the policy then would only change
the script that implement the function, not all packages, that uses
the script.

--
 Thomas
            Thomas Lange

1024D/AB9B66FD AEA6 A8C1 BD8E 67C4 8EF6  8BCA DC13 E54E AB9B 66FD