apt-get and The_User

Hi everybody
I have a simple problem.:-)
How can I give access to a user to install software using apt-get
without giving him the root password.Preferable the software should be
installed in the user's home directory.Can this be done at all with a
standard Debian install ? Obviously the user should not be able under
any circumstances to do a dist-upgrade or remove other packages that he
didn't install.
 Basically I think I would like to have the option to specify system
packages and user packages and keep them kinnda separate,or compiling
an apt-get binary just for the user with missing certain options.
 The way things are right now are very inconvenient for a regular user.

 Thanks for any insights,ideas,pointers to specific man/info pages...

--
The best way to escape from a problem is to solve it.
     Alan Saporta