Re: apt-get and The_User

On Sun, Nov 26, 2000 at 05:46:43PM -0800, Mircea Luca wrote:
:Hi everybody
:I have a simple problem.:-)
:How can I give access to a user to install software using apt-get
:without giving him the root password.Preferable the software should be
:installed in the user's home directory.Can this be done at all with a
:standard Debian install ? Obviously the user should not be able under
:any circumstances to do a dist-upgrade or remove other packages that he
:didn't install.

I don't think you can do what you want without a good bit of code
hacking.  One of the big stumbling blocks here is that .deb's are
essentially glorified tarballs and the install path cannot be simply
altered, then there's keeping track of who installed what, but
seperate cache directories could probably do that.

Check out sudo, this way you can give users access to root level
programs on a per user per command basis.  Perhaps you could code up a
wrapper for apt-get that would set the magic options then give the
user access to this...

Sounds like an ordeal, if the user is competent to manage their own
stuff, I'd just let them use apt-get via sudo.  It would save alot of
trouble, of course I give out access to just about anything if asked
nicely by someone who hasn't done anything terribly stupid today :)

-Jon