Re: sawfish 0.33.1 broken?

On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 19:26:17 David Starner wrote:

> > When I say impossible, I mean for a common user.
>
> Does a common user need to redefine the menu? I've used Debian for 2
> years and never even thought about redefining any of the menus. I think
> it's more important to support the case of using the Debian menus and
> put notes on how to change them in README.Debian rather than the other
> way around.
>
> (This is Unix - the common user has learned to read manual pages and
> understand cryptic configuration files written in their own unique
> language. It's a survival trait.)

As a user of debian for about 3 years and as someone who compiles most of
the apps he uses regularly, I thought i knew how to edit the debian menu
and get what i wanted on it.  gmenu from gnome is a nifty tool, perhaps if
there was a debian port so i didn't have to install all this gnome crap it
would make editing the debian menu rather easy for 'common' users.  Of
course, you still have to get the window manager to actually use the
debian-menu which is a problem this thread started for.  Window managers
are having to deal with multiple menu sources and it's getting annoying and
hard to maintain support.   Debian needs One Menu location with
user-specific addon dir like ~/menu that could be searched on startup of
the window manager..   none of this kde-gnome specific menu nonsense.  if
you have gnome or kde. .then you wont have a problem with having that menu
stuff in a common menu heirarchy ... if you dont, then you wont have to
worry about gnome-kde stuff in your menu because it wouldn't have been
installed.  Agree on a language for the menu system ( lisp seems to be it )
and a single place to add menu entries for debian, kde, and gnome and then
have the user specific stuff in each home dir.  I, as well as probably
everyone else, am getting tired of having menu entries in /usr/lib/menu
/etc/menu /var/lib/gnome/   etc etc ..  It is getting to be unmantainable
by the window manager to keep support for all of these menu places.  God
forbid you try and compile your window manager and lose all these debian
specific lisp scripts and what not that point to various places.