[OT] Taxed media (Re: GNU/Linux taxed in Poland ?! (fwd))

In Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:47:40 +0100 grendel@vip.net.pl (Marek Habersack) cum veritate scripsit :

> > That's very similar to the Buma (http://www.buma.nl/uk/home.htm) here
> > in the Netherlands. They also wanted to levy a surcharge on the sale of
> > blank cdroms because as you can use them to duplicate audio cds, you
> > *will*.  Very nice if e.g. you're trying to distribute debian cds.
> > However, that attempt fortunately died a silent death.
> Good, because that would be a complete insane...

The situation with MD (minidisc) in Japan is serious.
It includes the "copyright tax" or something.
It doesn't say how much that is, but I moved on to using CDs, because MD is
too restricted: you can't copy from your personally recorded MD to another MD
even if it is your own work.

regards,
	junichi

--