Re: GNU/Linux taxed in Poland ?! (fwd)

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 01:08:59PM +0100, Marek Habersack wrote:
> ** On Nov 13, Craig Sanders scribbled:
> > sure it does. the monetary cost of the license is zero dollars, which is
> > clearly included in the price you paid for the CD.
>
> It must be explicitly put somewhere - either in the distribution
> itself ("The cost of acquiring the GPL license is US $0.0") or on the
> receipt of purchase - that's what I was told by somebody fluent in
> financial matters here.

why? does microsoft issue receipts telling you how much of the purchase
price is for the license, and how much is for the media & packaging &
manuals?

if not, then why not? why are microsoft getting preferential treatment
from the tax office? (and other politically embarassing questions).

> > also find out if commercial radio stations have to pay tax on the
> > value of any records or CDs sent to them by record companies. they
>
> Oh, yes, they do. They pay huge money to ZAIKS (an organization of
> artists ,performers and vendors) not for each and every song they
> broadcast, but for all songs they CAN broadcast (they also have to
> prove that the song comes from a legal source).

that's not tax on the free CDs & records, that's payment of a license
fee to the artists' representatives.

> What's funny, is that when you run a shop and you play radio so that
> customers can hear it - you should pay the same fee to ZAIKS what the
> radio paid for broadcasting the songs! Sounds insane, but that's the
> reality.

same here in australia.

what's worse is that they still demand you pay even if the only music
you play is your own material or licensed direct from the artists (who
happen to be your friends). they assume that because you CAN play other
material that you in fact are.

craig

--
craig sanders