Re: 2.2r1 release problems

On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 07:13:21AM -0800, zbrown@linuxcare.com wrote:

> On my system, dselect shows new version numbers on:
>
> base-passwd
> dpkg
> make

bug fixes

> mutt

not sure why this was upgraded, there is a note about removing some
GPL incompatible code in the changelog, not sure if that affected 1.0
from potato.

> netscape (etc)

security fix, its been in security.debian.org for ages

> gnupg

security fix, big one.

> OK, it's nice to get the warning, but it still amounts to there being no
> stable version of Debian at the moment, which I think is a situation to be

this is silly sensationalism, instead of posting over and over again
how stable is totally broken and worthless how about stating some
facts to back this up, i have upgraded 4 machines on two archetectures
(i386 and powerpc) and everything has been working perfectly no
problems or breakage whatsoever.  maybe its just me but it sure looks
like `no stable version of Debian' is a gross exaggeration.

i would be interested to know exactly what Wichert means by `r1 is
broken'  if that is really what he said.

> avoided if possible. In other posts in this thread, people have argued for
> making more prominent announcements, but I still feel that point releases
> deserve their own tree. Suppose unexpected coding problems delay 2.2r2? Was
> it really necessary to get rid of 2.2 just to release r1? At least if they
> had their own tree, people who really need both stability and fixes, would
> know that 2.2 was there for them. And the developers could put out their
> point releases without causing any upset.

its called proposed-updates, every package that was upgraded in r1 has
been sitting in proposed-updates for ages being tested by those who
choose to track proposed-updates.

> It would be different if the installation tools did not silently upgrade to
> the untested point release. In fact, I have a new suggestion to throw out

ahem, untested?  i think not.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/