Re: 2.2r1 release problems

On 14-Nov-00, 09:13 (CST), zbrown@linuxcare.com wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 10:12:49PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> > If you want
> > to know the criteria used to select packages for r1, see Anthony Towns's post
> > to debian-release, or just read the ChangeLog for r1. Exactly 2 packages
> > that were not bugfixes or security updates were let in (mozilla update,
> > new console-apt that did not get into r0 due to a string of misfortunes);
>
> On my system, dselect shows new version numbers on:
>
> [*list of packages snipped*]

Re-read Joey's post: "2 packages that were not bugfixes or security updates".

> OK, it's nice to get the warning, but it still amounts to there
> being no stable version of Debian at the moment, which I think is a
> situation to be avoided if possible.

We can't win, can we? Either people complain that we don't update stable
with bugfixes and new versions, or they complain that we do.

More helpfully: The new apt will allow one to pin packages to a certain
release. In the meantime, dpkg --{set,get}-selections is your friend:

dpkg --get-selections |sed 's/        install$/ hold/' |dpkg --set-selections

(That's a TAB before "install", btw)
(Completely untested, Caveat Emptor, backup your status file before
using, etc. etc.)

Steve
--
Steve Greenland <stevegr@debian.org>
(Please do not CC me on mail sent to this list; I subscribe to and read