Re: Some ideas to improve the debian policy

On 00-11-09 Pablo De Napoli wrote:
> * When there several versions the documentation (html,postscript,info)
> pack eack of them on a separate package.

> Reason: you probably don't need to have several copies of the same
> documentation at the same time. If you want to read it online, the html
> or the info version is better. In case you want to print it, you probably
> want a postscript version.

There's already the possibility of building a seperate doc if there's
lot of documentation available. If a package doesn't do this, but you
think it should, then please send a bug report (Severity: wishlist)
about that to the maintainer. But I would recommend splitting the
documentation in too many single debs which only contain a small part of
the documentation.

> * When writing a /debian/rules file , think of the user that (like myself)
> prefer to download the source and build the binaries from the source.
> When several packages are built from the same source , let the user
> choose which ones he wants to build (if they are independent of each
> other) , and explain (in comments) how to select the packages that he
> want. For example I think that when building the glibc from the sources
> I want the packages:

> libc
> libc-dev
> libc-doc

> and not the -dbg or the - pic packages. Or when building libqt , I don't
> want to build the static version.

> Of course I can do this modifying the
> /debian/rules script, but it would be nice if I can do this by passing
> a parameter in the command line or editing just one line.

Do you have looked how many packages would be affected by this? I think
it would be no more then 10% of all debian packages. So I would suggest
if you really want this to start modifying the rules file to fit your
needs and the sending the patch to the debian maintainer and discuss
with him, if he could include it in the debian package.

> * When installing the mo files for language translations (in
> /usr/share/locale) let the user choose which languages he wants
> (thought some environment variable ?)

This will be very difficult and won't be easy to solve. And cluttering
the postinst and prerm with a lot of shell-script code to handle this
is, isn't in my opinion, a good solution. Also you assume that a server
is only used by one person who is speaking only one language, but often
you have a server, with a lot of users, that want different languages
and then it's very helpful if all translations are allready installed
and you don't need to reinstall the package.

Ciao
     Christian

--
          Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Team Member