Re: Some ideas to improve the debian policy

Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> writes:

> On 00-11-09 Pablo De Napoli wrote:
>
> > * When installing the mo files for language translations (in
> > /usr/share/locale) let the user choose which languages he wants
> > (thought some environment variable ?)
>
> This will be very difficult and won't be easy to solve. And cluttering
> the postinst and prerm with a lot of shell-script code to handle this
> is, isn't in my opinion, a good solution. Also you assume that a server
> is only used by one person who is speaking only one language, but often
> you have a server, with a lot of users, that want different languages
> and then it's very helpful if all translations are allready installed
> and you don't need to reinstall the package.

Even if only one person is using the system, you might still want more
than one language installed just in case the other doesn't cover all
of what is installed and your second choice is _not_ English.  This is
supported by e.g. KDE where you can set at least three languages.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development