Re: task-kde broken

On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Colin Watson wrote:

> >> If you can't handle unstable, don't live on unstable.
> >
> >Yes, that's right.  Because bug reports aren't wanted, I guess.
>
> It was put slightly harshly, but the point is there. Bug reports are
> generally a Good Thing, and are crucial to the quality of the
> distribution. However, bug reports that are filed out of fundamental
> misunderstandings of the way things work in unstable just take up
> developers' time, as do bug reports to package maintainers about things
> that they can't fix and that will be fixed anyway in a relatively short
> period of time. If you're using unstable, you *have* to be aware that
> things sometimes break, and when you expect it to be a stable, working
> system and are angry at volunteers when a few packages are broken for
> only a day or two, the response is naturally going to be a little along
> the lines of "well, go back to stable, then".

While I understand this viewpoint, going back to stable is not really
an option for a lot of folks due to the serious lag in releases.
Testing should help this greatly.

I filed a bug report after it was suggested I do so on this list.
I even asked before I did so.  Not to mention the fact apt tells
the user to do so.  If this is broken, it needs to be fixed.

> Keep reading debian-devel, and perhaps look back through the Kernel
> Cousin summaries of the list at <URL:http://kt.linuxcare.com/debian/>,
> and you should get a better feel for how things work.

I've been on unstable for a very long time now, and yes, there have been
problems sometimes.  In this case I tried to report a problem and then
got jumped on for using unstable.  That just didn't make sense to me.

                                        -Dave