Re: task-kde broken

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 01:29:21AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> >> If you can't handle unstable, don't live on unstable.
> >
> >Yes, that's right.  Because bug reports aren't wanted, I guess.
>
> It was put slightly harshly, but the point is there. Bug reports are
> generally a Good Thing, and are crucial to the quality of the
> distribution. However, bug reports that are filed out of fundamental
> misunderstandings of the way things work in unstable just take up
> developers' time,

The bug here is that dinstall installs uninstallable packages in the
archive. It's that simple, and the bug exists since Debian exists, and we
are so used to it that we don't recognize it as a bug anymore, but define it
"as the way things work". But this is not necessary, and I believe the
people around dinstall and package pools are aware of the problem and will
probably fix it at some time.

Thanks,
Marcus

PS: There are several more bugs which are sometimes quite obvious to new
people, but have a long tradition so we don't see them if we don't try hard.
I would tell them what they are, but I am too long a Debian user to know :)

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de