Re: task-kde broken

On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, Christopher C. Chimelis wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Nov 2000, David A. Greene wrote:
>
> > Why did packages sent LATER to
> > incoming arrive EARLIER?
>
> This happens quite a bit and there's a good reason for it.

It IS a good reason.  Thanks.

> It seems that the only real complaint is that the dependencies aren't able
> to be satisfied yet.  I personally though apt would hold back on
> installing packages with missing deps, but if it isn't in this case, it
> probably should be investigated as to why it didn't.

Actually, it did.  The problem was my kdm was broken and couldn't be
upgraded to work with XF4.  I then reported the KDE bug when I tried
to install task-kde.

> Well, I think that we all want bug reports, but again, I don't think a
> missing dependency that will be satisfied by a package in incoming is
> necessarily a bug (that's just my opinion, though)....it's more of a
> temporary inconvenience.

I certainly understand this view.  However, looking over apt's output
again, I realized that it in fact TELLS the user to submit a bug
report.  Is there some way this can be fixed?  Now certainly a
package that really is missing is a problem, but if it's in
incoming, perhaps some sort of explanation could be given.

I know incoming isn't organized to be used by apt, but it seems
like apt would have to somehow check incoming to put this in
place.

Thanks again, everyone, for enlightening a non-developer.  :)

                                      -Dave