Re: squid's async-io (was Re: Ancient squid and unattentive maintainer)

On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 06:05:55PM -0700, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:
> Okay, I'll take the 'henrik nordstrom' 2.2.5-STABLE release, and
> upload it to woody somewhere next week. I'm curious to see if that is
> going to make any difference.

I just tried Henrik's squid-2.2.STABLE5-hno.20000202.snapshot.gz

and had the same results. :-(

> >Why was async-io needed on SMP?  Not using it on my SMP machine seemed
> >to speed things up tremendously.
>
> If you don't compile it with async-io, squid isn't threaded. That
> means that it runs as a single process on just one CPU. So the other
> CPU is 100% idle all the time and you might as well take it out,
> unless you have a lot of other stuff running on the same machine.

I guess it is a trade off.

My squid cache has two users so it is more important that I have quick
cache access.  On the other hand async-io might make sense for folks
with many client-side users that tax the CPUs and still fill the client
side LAN bandwidth.

For home/small organizations async-io currently makes no sense and
defeats the purpose of having a cache.

It doesn't bother me too much seeing I can download the source package
and recompile in just a few seconds.  A few minutes if I have to use
async-io squid. :-)

--
Jeff Lightfoot   --    jeffml at pobox.com   --   http://thefoots.com/
    "I see the light at the end of the tunnel now ... someone please