Re: squid's async-io (was Re: Ancient squid and unattentive maintainer)

Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 03-Nov-00, 10:48 (CST), Matt Zimmerman <mdz@debian.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 01:29:41PM +0000, Miquel van Smoorenburg
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Well I turned it on because I'm running it on SMP machines. And
> > > unfortunately there's no run-time tunable for async / no async
> >
> > Since SMP is the less common case, the default should probably be
> > optimized for uniprocessor systems.
> That depends. If turning async/io off causes errors on SMP systems,
> then it should default on. If it's only a performance issue, then it
> probably should default to better performance for the more common
> case.

Very interesting.  My squid server was just upgraded to SMP yesterday
and the results are the same.

debian squid (with --enable-async-io) - 200K max
This was on an SMP machine.  No errors, just dog slow.

squid recompiled (without --enable-async-io) - very fast

Why was async-io needed on SMP?  Not using it on my SMP machine seemed
to speed things up tremendously.

Also, was anyone able to verify that this isn't just isolated to me?

Jeff Lightfoot   --    jeffml at pobox.com   --   http://thefoots.com/
    "Look what I found in my beer. A free test drive for a heart I
    cannot steer." -- Beautiful South