Re: Another solution (was Re: All services that require a restart from libc6 upgrade...)

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Erik Steffl wrote:

> Ben Collins wrote:
> >

> > > I don't understand this.  Isn't the point of versioning so that you can
> > > request the library with the proper ABI?  If you leave the old libnss_*
> > > files on disk, why doesn't the running daemon --- with the old libc mapped
> > > --- cause the old NSS modules to be loaded?
> > >

> > Because modules are loaded from disk, not memory.
>
>   why they are not versioned on the disk then? all these problems would
> dissapear... wouldn't they?
>
>   each version of libc would know which version of nss modules to
> load... isn't it obvious solution?

Right.  This is the question I was trying to ask.

To amplify, suppose I have libc-2.1.3 installed, along with
libnss_compat-2.1.3.so, etc.  If a daemon is started, and at some point
makes a name service call, then some libnss_*-2.1.3 module is loaded.

Now if new libc and libnss_* files are loaded onto the disk, why would
that change the behaviour of a running daemon?  Would it not load the same
libnss_*-2.1.3 module as before?

-Steve