Re: ITP: inetdconf

Hello!

Anthony Towns schrieb:
> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 07:29:20PM -0400, Jacob Kuntz wrote:
> > from the secret journal of Remco Blaakmeer (remco-blaakmeer@quicknet.nl):
> > > Another question: how long will it be before netbase depends on
> > > "netkit-inetd | xinetd", allowing me to remove inetd alltogether?
> > hmm. maybe xinetd should provide netkit-inetd?
>
> No, it probably shouldn't.

Request a inet-super-server on debian-policy (tell them what you
need it for, they will probably like it).

Make all the inetd's Provide and Conflict inet-super-server.

Include a copy of update-inetd in all the inet-super-server
packages, each modified to work with the config file of the
respective inetd.

Optionally (but desirable) write preinstalls and preremove
scripts that convert from / to inetd.conf, in order to preserve
the config across inetd switches.

Bug every package that has any kind of dependency on inetd to
depend on inet-super-server. Now, they cant assume to find a
/etc/inetd.conf anymore of corse.

I did something like this for the syslogs, and I hope it works,
though Martin Schulze <joey@debian.org>, the sysklogd
maintainer, seems to be a bit overloaded. I didn't get a single
response from him, and I'm on this since some months.

Of corse this depends on all the inetd maintainers working
together, and being willing to put some work into theier
packages. I beleive it's worth the effort, though.

ciao, 2ri
--
Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned
in school.                              -- A. Einstein