Re: apts -> /usr/ports script

Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 07:13:16AM +0200, Rene K. Mueller wrote:
>
> > Right, I didn't know exactly how apt-* behaves, thanks for the input!
> >
> > > all::
> > >         # Retrieve source, compile, and build a .deb
> > >         apt-get source -b $p
> >
> > What does it exactly do?
>
> It will download the Debian source package, unpack it into a directory
> <package>-<version>, compile it, and build a Debian package in the current
> directory.
>
> > > install::
> > >         # Install the .deb
> > >         dpkg -i ../$p_*.deb
> >
> > Are you sure? ../$p goes to /usr/ports/<section>
> > (/usr/ports/<section>/<port>)
>
> I was mistaken here.  The build process will create the .deb in the directory
> above the source directory.  In this case, the source directory is a
> subdirectory of the current directory, so the .deb will be in the current
> directory.
>
>         # Install the .deb
>         dpkg -i $p_*.deb
>
> ...should be correct.

Ok, but the problem is that the .deb needs a dependency here, e.g.
in freebsd if you call make it does fetch the source & compile,
make install does fetch source & compile if necessary, and install
the package/port. This way, if someone calls make install without
having .deb already (very likely so), then this make install will
fail, right?

Here how the Makefile looks now:
____________
${p}_$info{Version}_$info{Architecture}.deb::
   # Retrieve source, compile, and build a .deb
   apt-get source -b $p

install: ${p}_$info{Version}_$info{Architecture}.deb
   # Install the .deb
   dpkg -i ${p}_$info{Version}_$info{Architecture}.deb

deinstall:
   apt-get remove $p

clean:
   rm -rf ${p}_*

I very appreciate your input and feedback so far :-)
I will test the script further now.

Best regards,

Rene K. Mueller

----
    /\     Rene K. Mueller <kiwi@the-labs.com> <kiwi@span.ch>
  //  \\      Phone +41 1 261 4743 - HyperMedia Designer & Programmer
  \\  //      http://the-labs.com/ - The Labs: Graphic & Web Tools,
    \/                               Corporate Web Consulting