Re: apts -> /usr/ports script

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 07:13:16AM +0200, Rene K. Mueller wrote:

> Right, I didn't know exactly how apt-* behaves, thanks for the input!
>
> > all::
> >         # Retrieve source, compile, and build a .deb
> >         apt-get source -b $p
>
> What does it exactly do?

It will download the Debian source package, unpack it into a directory
<package>-<version>, compile it, and build a Debian package in the current
directory.

> > install::
> >         # Install the .deb
> >         dpkg -i ../$p_*.deb
>
> Are you sure? ../$p goes to /usr/ports/<section>
> (/usr/ports/<section>/<port>)

I was mistaken here.  The build process will create the .deb in the directory
above the source directory.  In this case, the source directory is a
subdirectory of the current directory, so the .deb will be in the current
directory.

	# Install the .deb
	dpkg -i $p_*.deb

...should be correct.

> > clean::
> >         rm -rf ../$p_*.deb $p-*
>
> I don't want to have *.deb files hanging arround outside of
> /usr/ports/<section>/<port>/

Same here.

> > If you want to upgrade to the latest
> > version of the package, apt-get install <package> will do that, given an
> > up-to-date package list (from apt-get update).
>
> apt-get update   would correspond with   cvsup the /usr/ports/* then?

Correct.  Using this system, you would want the cvsup-equivalent to run
apt-get update, then your Perl script.

--
 - mdz