Re: NMU's for glibc 2.1.94

On Sat, Sep 30, 2000 at 12:14:40PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
> > However, somethings in glibc's OLD db libs were versioned symbols. Well,
> > libdb2 does not use symbol versioning, and thus it breaks. Most of the
> > symbols in glibc's old db libraries were not versioned. So not everything
> > needs to be recompiled.
> >
> > I repeat, this is not a bug in the libc, it is a problem we have to deal
> > with because libdb2 is not compatible with the old glibc db libs we used
> > so much.
>
> Right, but it *is* a bug in libdb2.
>
> So why not fix the bug in libdb2, or give it a new soname instead,
> since it is not properly compatible with the old libdb2?

No it isn't. Nothing changed in libdb2, glibc changed and removed *it's*
version of db2. After that I tried symlinking that soname (libdb.so.[23])
to libdb2.so.2. That was the wrong thing to do. API wise, these are the
same library, but programs that linked to glibc's version (libdb.so.[23])
had some versioned symbols. This is specific to glibc, not db2. The bug
was self created.

Ben