Re: New libc6 breaks exim?

Petr Cech <cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:

> There is missing a depends or conflicts on libc6 to force libdb2 upgrade.
> And there are still problems with GLIBC_2.x symbols ...

No that's not what he said. You can't fix library incompatibilities with
Debian package conflicts or depends since there might be local compiles on the
machine or third party applications from other distributions that break.

You have to change the soname and allow the old libdb2 to be installed _at the
same time_. That way applications compiled against the old libdb2 still work.

Otherwise we're not binary compatible with other distributions, or even
programs compiled in potato even.

--
greg