Re: New libc6 breaks exim?

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 09:45:01AM -0400 , Greg Stark wrote:
> Petr Cech <cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz> writes:
>
> > There is missing a depends or conflicts on libc6 to force libdb2 upgrade.
> > And there are still problems with GLIBC_2.x symbols ...
>
> No that's not what he said. You can't fix library incompatibilities with
> Debian package conflicts or depends since there might be local compiles on the
> machine or third party applications from other distributions that break.

Hmm. I wonder how does RH7 deal with this ...

> You have to change the soname and allow the old libdb2 to be installed _at the
> same time_. That way applications compiled against the old libdb2 still work.

hmm. but that will break us even more with every one else ...

> Otherwise we're not binary compatible with other distributions, or even
> programs compiled in potato even.

no one guarantees backward compatibility. Forward would be good. I understand
that this is a problem, but the solution is ... ?

				Petr Cech
--
Debian GNU/Linux maintainer - www.debian.{org,cz}
           cech@atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz

<woot> "What do you mean it's not packaged in Debian?"