Re: Which task package installs gpm?

At 09:49 AM 09/21/2000 -0700, you wrote:

    Michael> On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 12:23:19AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
    >> IMO debian already has a system pretty darn close to kickstart, with
    >> the above commands i can clone a system at *any* time, not just when
    >> installing.  with kickstart you can only create the kickstart file at
    >> install time (AFAIK anyway) and redhat installers are notorious for
>> ignoring your package selections and installing whatever it feels like.
    >> so your still stuck going through packages and removing crap anyway.

Michael> I strongly disagree with this assertion. You may clone a system's Michael> package inventory this way, but in doing so you will not clone the
    Michael> actual system configuration.

 Right.

Wrong.

dpkg-repack

Package: dpkg-repack 1.2 (1.5 in unstable)

puts an unpacked .deb file back together

dpkg-repack creates a .deb file out of a debian package that has already been installed. If any changes have been made to the package while it was unpacked (ie,
files in /etc were modified), the new package will inherit the changes.

This utility can make it easy to copy packages from one computer to another, or to recreate packages that are installed on your system, but no longer available
elsewhere, or to store the current state of a package before you upgrade it.

--
It is pretty easy to make a kickstart type system this way: configure one box, repack it, and use those packages to install new machines.

Seth