Re: Which task package installs gpm?

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 12:23:19AM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:

> IMO debian already has a system pretty darn close to kickstart, with
> the above commands i can clone a system at *any* time, not just when
> installing.  with kickstart you can only create the kickstart file at
> install time (AFAIK anyway) and redhat installers are notorious for
> ignoring your package selections and installing whatever it feels like.
> so your still stuck going through packages and removing crap anyway.

I strongly disagree with this assertion.  You may clone a system's
package inventory this way, but in doing so you will not clone the
actual system configuration.

Attacking Red Hat will not get you anywhere.  There are no surprises
in Kickstart:  I've read Anaconda's source code.  The only RPMs that
are installed that you didn't explicitly specify are the base set and
RPMs that are dependents of the ones you did specify.

In addition, this process requires manual user intervention.  Show me
a process that approaches the speed of kickstart (which to me is the
most important factor of all) and then we can talk.

> this a way to export debconf answers and your pretty much set.  (i
> don't know what kickstart does about things like networking)

I think that relying on debconf as a catch-all tool for system
configuration is a bad idea.  The realm of configuration possibilities
is just too large for us to rely on package maintainers to make an
absolutely perfect configuration tool in every single package.

--
Michael S. Fischer <michael@dynamine.net>, AKA Otterley
Lead Hacketeer, Dynamine Consulting, Silicon Valley, CA