Re: SGML Man Pages?

On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 04:05:12PM -0700, Colin Mattson wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 04:38:43PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > Here is an interesting observation I just made while perusing a Solaris
> > install at school. They have SGML man pages. Their man pages are a subset
> > of the standard DocBook DTD which is now being used by the Linux
> > Documentation Project.
>
> I'm not well-versed in SGML manpages, but if you've ever done a package
> the "New Maintainer's Guide" way (with dh_make), you'll note that there's
> an example SGML manpage in the debian subdirectory of the build dir...
>
> I would assume this means Debian supports these to some extent, but I've never
> looked into it (I nuke *.ex when I use dh_make since most software I've played
> with includes a manpage, and the Debian-specific stuff I want I can do by
> hand/memory).

It is pretty easy to write manpages in SGML and convert them to nroff at
compile time (as the dh_make example does), but what Sun does is much nicer,
installing the SGML on the system, and converting it SGML->nroff->ASCII for
viewing.  This allows the user performing other renderings, including HTML and
printed documentation, from the installed documentation.

--
 - mdz