Re: MIDI Notation Software

On Sat, Sep 16, 2000 at 01:01:40AM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

> I was looking at ALSA, and it doesn't quite have that capability. For
> example, it would be nice if I could link any of the sequencer's midi
> output to timidity/aRTs/octal/pd.
>
> Yes, one fine example would be "pd" packaged in Debian. It would
> benefit greatly from internal midi-routing mechanism. I want to be
> able to control it via "vkeybd" program ;)

I have been looking at the aRTs documentation, and it seems they plan
to provide a "generic audio server" (have a look at:
  http://www.arts-project.org/doc/manual/index-11.html).

It seems they want to overcome some of the limitations of ESD and
Kaudioserver: " ... They [esd & kaudioserver] have no concepts for
management, interaction, synchronization, midi stuff, filters (or only
small parts implemented) ..."

aRTs seems to already address some of these issues.

>From the same page:

"aRts could in the long run become some DirectSound replacement for
 the platforms it runs on, allowing multiple applications to interact
 realtimely through a shared flow system."

It sounds great (but for the "in the long run" part). It deserves a
closer look.

> Midi tools and sound generators (?) are not very actively included
> into Debian. Maybe not many people were interested into it. I feel it
> is a very big shortcoming (because I am using Windows for music work).

Well, it's up to us ;)

   Enrique.