Re: Issues with releasing bzip2 1.0.1

>> Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

 > Erm, yeah if the library is not binary compatible you must follow
 > proper sonme procedures, etc - conflicts on shared libs should be
 > almost non-existant.

 Exactly.

 Call me naive, but I just took a look at the upstream source tarball,
 and the library soname is libbz2.so.1.0, so what's the problem with
 libbz2-1.0?  Base libbz2-dev on this new version, plenty of
 compilations will break but the fixes are trivial (prefix the calls
 to bz2 functions with BZ2_).  File bugs (pretty much against anything
 that depends on libbz2, 11 packages AFAICS).  Or try to lobby
 upstream to provide backwards *source* compatibility (i.e., use
 macros for the function names) but I don't think this solution would
 be acceptable, since the reason for the change is:

 * Avoid library namespace pollution.  Prefix all exported
   symbols with BZ2_.

 other than that, I don't see any other changes that warrant a soname
 change.

 Cheers,

                                   Marcelo