Re: ITP: Sword, GnomeSword

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, David Starner wrote:
> If the program needs one to run, then at least one should be packaged.
> I'd prefer not to see a lot of installers that download free software -
> the one's that download non-free stuff are annoying and cause enough
> problems as it is.

Sure.  Probably the most interesting ones to package (in terms of package
functionality, and as an English speaker) would be:

  KJV.zip               2226 Kb    Mon Dec 13 00:00:00 1999
  - This contains Strong's numbers which, presumably, are
    linked into the Strong's Greek and Hebrew dictionaries.
  - Yes, I know there is also already the complete KJV text
    in Debian, but this is a version formatted specifically
    for Sword, complete with the cross references, italics,
    and so forth.

  Naves.zip              647 Kb    Mon Dec 13 00:00:00 1999
  - A fairly standard Bible study reference.

  Personal.zip            40 Kb    Mon Dec 13 00:00:00 1999
  - A module for making your own personal commentary.

  StrongsGreek.zip       866 Kb    Sat Dec 18 00:00:00 1999
  StrongsHebrew.zip      867 Kb    Mon Dec 13 00:00:00 1999
  - These are the Strong's Greek and Hebrew Bible dictionaries.

  WEB.zip               1461 Kb    Fri Dec 17 00:00:00 1999
  - This is a free, modern translation.
  - There are, in my opinion, better modern translations, but
    none of them are free :(  The Sword project is working on
    the copyright holders to try to get them to free their
    texts, though.

  Wesley.zip            2025 Kb    Mon Dec 13 00:00:00 1999
  - A standard commentary.

This selection has nothing to do with my particular theological leanings.
I have merely tried to provide a usable subset that exercises as much of
the package as possible.  People can alter their selection to suit their
tastes either by downloading the rest themselves, or ordering Sword's
CD (which they provide "at cost", as I understand it).

If you want to proof my selection and make suggestions, please
look at:

	http://www.crosswire.org/sword/download/ModDisp.jsp?modType=Bibles

Note that "Locked" entries are not free texts.  They are provided in
encrypted form for developers.  Ignore them.

Also, look at:

	ftp://ftp.crosswire.org/pub/sword/modules/raw/

to get an idea of sizes.

The selection shown above is around 8M.  I don't think that's an
unreasonable size.  Compare this with the sizes of, say, festlex-* and
festvox-*.

Ben