Re: Problems with mail system? [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown]

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 05:16:23PM -0500, Joseph Carter wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 05:37:25PM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > > My reverse DNS does not match my forward DNS.  I have @home.  Only
> >
> > They don't need to "match".  Your IP just needs to resolve to something, and
> > that something needs to resolve back to your IP.  This has no effect on what
> > From: addresses and envelope senders you can use.
>
> Miquel van Smoorenburg and others seem to think that they do need to
> match.  if you connect to my IP, you will see that neither 24.22.127.210
> nor cc659474-a.indnpls1.in.home.com appear in the greeting.

Maybe it is because they've read over RFC1912 Section 2.1:

                                              " Many services available
   on the Internet will not talk to you if you aren't correctly
   registered in the DNS.

   Make sure your PTR and A records match.  For every IP address, there
   should be a matching PTR record in the in-addr.arpa domain. "

If you feel that the way you use DNS is broad enough, why not write up
an RFC?

Anand