Re: Problems with mail system? [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown]

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 01:08:17PM +1100, Timshel Knoll wrote:
> <<< 550 mail from ::ffff:216.250.196.10 rejected: administrative prohibition (failed to find host name from IP address)
>
> Is there any way to get this fixed?

No.  The MTA at the destination host is trying to tell you that dialup
trash like yourself isn't welcome on *THEIR* Internet, under the reasoning
that they're stopping spammers by refusing connections from machines with
characteristics like yours (dynamically assigned IP, perhaps, or simply no
reverse DNS record), and that any legitimate non-spam traffic is too
inconvenient to deal with.

A similar sort of logic holds that if we had executed enough queers (and IV
drug users, but the important part is the queers[*]) in 1983, there
wouldn't be an AIDS epidemic today.

[*] Because if you're fine, upstanding, Church-going member of the Knights
of Columbus, Kiwanis Club, etc., it is far more psychologically devastating
to you if your son is getting poked with pork instead of syringes, even if
the syringes contain smack that's been cut with Drano.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   Optimists believe we live in the best of
Debian GNU/Linux                |   all possible worlds.  Pessimists are