Re: Problems with mail system? [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown]

On Wed, Sep 06, 2000 at 11:57:05PM -0400, Adam McKenna wrote:
> > Perhaps it's from being too geeky myself, but Branden's explanation
> > (the recipient of the error message is not welcome on *THEIR* Internet
> > under the reasoning that they're ... refusing connections from machines
> > with characteristics like [his] (...simply no reverse DNS record))
> > sounds like a fairly direct and accurate translation of "admisitrative
> > prohibition (failed to find host name from IP address)".
>
> Yes, that's what he said, but what he meant was that people shouldn't have
> the right to decide who they accept mail from, and under what conditions.  I
> guess it's been too long since we had that particular flamewar on
> debian-devel.

They have every right.

They have no right to demand that those from whom they reject legitimate
mail find another way to deliver mail to them, however.

<evilkalla> heh, I never took a coding class
<evilkalla> or a graphics class
<evilkalla> or a software design class
<vegan> and it shows :P