Re: No german umlauts in console and xterm

>   I hope this isn't necessary.

> (you can disable this in bash, but then some other stuff (legitimate control
> chars) breaks, and since I only type umlauts on the command-line very
> occasionally, it wasn't worth the effort to fix)

right, sorry, there was some resource I forgot to mention.

This is my ~/.inputrc, which is read by libreadline. Please see bash(1)
for the meaning, where you cannot tell from the name. Important in this
context are obviously lines 3--5.

set bell-style visible
set expand-tilde on
set convert-meta off
set input-meta on
set output-meta on
set show-all-if-ambiguous on
set visible-stats on

Karsten
--
Karsten Tinnefeld                       tinnefeld@ls2.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Fachbereich Informatik, Lehrstuhl 2                   T +49 231 755-4737