Re: Crazy idea: removing version numbers from debian

Previously Thomas Guettler wrote:
> Debian is evolving constantly, not in single steps.

True.

> But I am interested
> what you think about this crazy idea to remove
> version numbers (like debian2.2) from debian?

Won't work. Users demand a know really stable system, and with a dynamic
system we can't guarantee the same stability as we can with a release that
has been tested for a while without any updates which might mess up testing.

Also, having versioned released is something that CD vendors want to
have. If we only had an ever changing semi-stable they could only sell
snapshots, which means they can't produce a large number of CDs, costs
will go up and they will switch to selling CDs of other distributions
instead.

Wichert.

 /       Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool     \
| wichert@wiggy.net                   http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |