Crazy idea: removing version numbers from debian

Redhat, Suse, Microsoft they need version numbers so that
they can announce their great new release of their operating
system. It is more or less marketing hype.

But Debian is different. It is a collection of several single
application on top of Linux/Hurd. And we don't need the
marketing hype of being able to announce a new version of Debian.

A Debian package is either unstable, (testing) or stable.
And everybody should use the package that fits his needs.

Debian is evolving constantly, not in single steps.

I don't know anything about the internals of
"apt-get upgrade", maybe I should.

But I am interested
what you think about this crazy idea to remove
version numbers (like debian2.2) from debian?

--
Thomas Guettler
Office: <guettli_NoSpam_interface-business.de> www.interface-business.de