Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 05:48:11PM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 16-Aug-00, 12:31 (CDT), Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> > Blindly following your fiat declarations about traceroute are getting us
> > into trouble now.
>
> What trouble is that?  I don't consider having to type /sbin/traceroute
> or add /sbin to my path "trouble".

Obviously you haven't typed the actual path to traceroute in quite a while.

> The constitution clearly says that maintainers have control over their
> packages. We have agreed that we'll follow Debian policy. Given the lack
> of policy on this particular topic, Herbert is perfectly within his
> rights to determine the location of traceroute, unless overridden by the
> technical committee.

There is policy on this topic.  We say we will comply with the FHS.  (We
should probably say we will be compatible instead, else our distribution is
literally riddled with FHS violations.)

> FWIW, I hope that policy won't take this up...detailing the /sbin - /bin
> location of explicit programs is bound to be an exersize in frustration.

Which is why I argued elsewhere to leave this ball in FHS's court.  But if
we insist on ignoring FHS, we need to have a policy of our own that is more
rational than "wherever the package maintainer feels like putting it."

--
G. Branden Robinson             |      I've made up my mind.  Don't try to
Debian GNU/Linux                |      confuse me with the facts.