Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On 16-Aug-00, 12:31 (CDT), Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> Blindly following your fiat declarations about traceroute are getting us
> into trouble now.

What trouble is that?  I don't consider having to type /sbin/traceroute
or add /sbin to my path "trouble".

The constitution clearly says that maintainers have control over their
packages. We have agreed that we'll follow Debian policy. Given the lack
of policy on this particular topic, Herbert is perfectly within his
rights to determine the location of traceroute, unless overridden by the
technical committee.

Since I've yet to see a truly technical reason to move it, I hope the
committee won't interfere. Yes, if we were starting from scratch, it
probably makes more sense to put it in bin, but it's simply not that big
a deal.

FWIW, I hope that policy won't take this up...detailing the /sbin - /bin
location of explicit programs is bound to be an exersize in frustration.

Steve