Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Wed, Aug 16, 2000 at 02:05:58PM -0500, Bryan Andersen wrote:
> Traceroute is a diagnostic command.  As such it isn't general use.

This distinction between sbin and bin is nowhere defined as having anything
to do with "general use".

> When a user or administrator is using it it is because of unusual
> conditions.  My opinion is to leave it in /usr/sbin.  Let them type
> a few extra characters, or add the sbin directories to their path.
>
> The same can be said of ping, but ping existed before the bin/sbin
> split.  As such there is legacy code that expects it to be there.

Traceroute's been around a long, long time as well.

> If one really wants it in the general users path, then run a symbolic
> link back to the original from the appropriate bin directory.

This is a lousy fix.

> | Buzzwords are like annoying little flies that deserve to be swatted. |
> |   -Bryan Andersen                                                    |

"He who quotes himself in his own .signature files likely has no esteem for
the views of anyone else, past, present, or future."
 -me

--
G. Branden Robinson             |    The errors of great men are venerable
Debian GNU/Linux                |    because they are more fruitful than the