Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Thu, Aug 17, 2000 at 09:34:51AM +1000, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Hmm, I didn't know that traceroute sent ICMP packets by default.  Are you
> sure you are talking about /usr/sbin/traceroute?

Point taken.  It had been a while since I read the manpage; it uses regular
IP packets and manipulates the TTL field.

> Anyway, from my personal experience,
> ifconfig/route/ping/traceroute/snmpnetstat are often used together to
> diagnose problems (or just waste time and bandwidth).

Tons of people use ping and traceroute without needing to invoke ifconfig,
route, or any form of netstat tool; for instance, when diagnosing routing
problems farther away than the interface card in the local machine.  If
this practice sounds foreign to you, then you either live on a more
reliable Internet than I do or are much more indifferent to network
problems.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   A great work of art has never caused any
Debian GNU/Linux                |   social problems.  Social problems are