Re: Intent To Split: netbase

>>"Kai" == Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> writes:

 Kai> Nothing, if the definition of "user tools" matches the FHS /bin - /sbin
 Kai> distinction, which says that if users ever run the thing, it belongs in
 Kai> /bin.

	I think there is a modicum on common sense expetced to be
 applied here. If a user ever runs fsck, halt, lilo, or any other
 program in /sbin, should they automatcally move out of there? (note
 there is not mention of succesfully run). This is a fuzzy are,
 unfortunately for rules lawyers, and one is supposed to use common
 sense, a feeling of how often an ordinary user may use a program,
 whether they really need to, are they wearing a sysadmin hat, and
 cater to the views of newbies.

	I also do not think it is going to be possible to please all
 the people all the time.

 >> As an advanced user, I always put /sbin and /usr/sbin in my PATH, whatever
 >> the unix I'm on.

 Kai> And the FHS *explicitely* says you shouldn't have to.

	Umm, I think he is defining himself not to be the common user,
 and the FHS explicitly says he should.

 >> People who know about ifconfig should know enough to add /sbin and /usr/sbin
 >> to their PATH IMO.

 Kai> And the FHS *explicitely* says they shouldn't have to.

	Not quite. (or else quote chapter and verses where the FHS
 explicitly says anyone who knows about ifconfig does not have to pout
 /sbin and /usr/sbin in their path (you do know what explicit means,
 don't you?)

	manoj
        See, this actually runs for me as a user:
__> /sbin/lilo -h
usage: lilo [ -C config_file ] -q [ -m map_file ] [ -v ... ]
       lilo [ -C config_file ] [ -b boot_device ] [ -c ] [ -l | -L ]
            [ -i boot_sector ] [ -m map_file ] [ -d delay ]
            [ -v ... ] [ -t ] [ -s save_file | -S save_file ]
            [ -P fix | -P ignore ] [ -r root_dir ] [ -w ]
       lilo [ -C config_file ] [ -m map_file ] -R [ word ... ]
       lilo [ -C config_file ] -I name [ options ]
       lilo [ -C config_file ] [ -s save_file ] -u | -U [ boot_device ]
       lilo -V

 If we see the light at the end of the tunnel, it's the light of an
 oncoming train. Robert Lowell