Re: policy changes toward Non-Interactive installation

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Actually, this is a particular irritant. Why does it have to
>  be done in the postinst? Why can't I have /usr/sbin/inst-realplayer?
>  So I can download and install at my leaisure, and I do not have to
>  reinstall realplayer installer to get a new copy? Or have the stupid
>  thing want to connect out every time there is a minor upgrade to the
>  installer?

The package is intended to enforce two invarients:

1) If it is installed, realplayer is installed.
2) If it is installed and current, the current version of realplayer is
   installed.

If you don't want to download realplayer right now, why are you
installing the package? If you don't want to upgrade realplayer right
now, why don't you put it on hold? The package system allows the things
that annoy you to be worked around in a consistent way.

--
see shy jo