Re: policy changes toward Non-Interactive installation

>>"Joey" == Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

 Joey> The package is intended to enforce two invarients:

 Joey> 1) If it is installed, realplayer is installed.
 Joey> 2) If it is installed and current, the current version of realplayer is
 Joey>    installed.

	Right. I just do nt see these invariants being very useful. I
 would much rather have a mk-realplayer package that helps me create a
 realplayer-blah.deb; and the invariants are then natural and not
 artificially imposed. When that realplayer.deb is installed,
 realplayer is installed (duh), and the version of that package tells
 me what version I have installed.

	I can then move the .deb to my local apt-able tree, and all
 other machines in my environemnt can just install this.

	the ml-realplayer does not have to be upgrade every time
 realplayer changes. I can install an older verison of real player if
 I wish (getting it off a CD, or something).

 Joey> If you don't want to download realplayer right now, why are you
 Joey> installing the package?

	It is not useful hectoring the user when they report a
 percieved problem.

	Perhaps I have a local mirro updated overnight, (with a slow
 modem, that is the only way to go) and I do not want to wait for a
 huge realplayer tar ball to download now. Perhaps I did not undertand
 that I would need a network connection now. Perhaps I had instlled
 realplayer before, and am happy with it, but I am upgrading my laptop
 on the plane off my mirror, and do not have a connection. Having
 realplayer break is not nice.

 Joey> If you don't want to upgrade realplayer right now, why don't
 Joey> you put it on hold?

	If we can make it so that people do not have to put thigs on
 hold, would that not be an improvement?

 Joey> The package system allows the things that annoy you to be
 Joey> worked around in a consistent way.

	Fine. I prefer to remove this annoyance, though.  Consider
 this an ITP for mk-realplayer. I'll probably steal your code rather
 than re-invent the wheel. Since your package is not really the
 realplayer binary, I am asking you to rename it to something else, so
 the package that mk-realplayer creates would not interfere with your
 installer.

	manoj
--
 Then there was the Formosan bartender named Taiwan-On.