Re: kernel-image with the same version

From: Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>
Subject: Re: kernel-image with the same version
Date: 16 Aug 2000 00:31:48 -0500

>  Atsuhito> I installed recently potato from scratch.  Rescue disk installed
>  Atsuhito> kernel 2.2.17 and I rebuild kernel-image with kerne-source 2.2.17
>  Atsuhito> so the version of kernel was same for both.
>
> 	Umm. This should not happen. Since /lib/modules/2.2.17 shall
>  be clobbered with the new modules. If the modules were the same, you
>  should have been warned on install.

Yes, of course I moved /lib/modules/2.2.17 to 2.2.17-old
before I installed kernel-image-2.2.17*.deb so there was no
warning on installation.

>  Atsuhito> When I installed kernel-image-2.2.17*.deb which I rebuild
>  Atsuhito> then /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old were created but both
>  Atsuhito> pointed to the same /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17.  This means no
>  Atsuhito> back-up of old kernel was retained.
>
> 	If the modules were actually clobbered, you may not have a
>  bootable old image left. Indeed, you shall not, since there is only
>  one /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17

As I expalined above, the modules were not clobbered, but
there was only one /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17 and both /vmlinuz and
/vmlunuz.old were linked to this /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17.

I wanted to ask how to avoid this problem...

> 	I think something is missing. If you replace a kernel with the
>  same version, you end up with one /boot/vmlinuz-$VERSION, and one
>  /lib/modules/$VERSION. You can move the /boot/vmlinuz-* around, but
>  the kernel shall still look in the same old place for its modules.

Yes it might be so.  But if one install with the current rescue
disk of potato then the kernel installed is of 2.2.17 and the
provided kernel-source of the latest version is of 2.2.17
so if one wants to rebuild the kernel (and generally one wants to!)
then one encounters the same situation, at least for a while.

Best Regards,			2000.8.16

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>